Institute of Ophthalmology Private Limited
Vision plays a crucial role through out life. Nearly 80 percent of what we learn is through vision! A child's brain and eyes rapidly develop during the first 5 yrs of life. Uncorrected problems in the eyes during that time, even in one eye, can disrupt the normal development of vision permanently. Treatment has to be given right at that age! Children often will not know, understand or tell when they have vision problems! Parents and teachers should suspect visual problems in a child. The child certainly needs a detailed eye check up at around the age of 3 yrs. The earlier the eye problem is identified and treated, better are the treatment results.
Refractive errors occur when an eye cannot clearly focus the image on the retina, resulting in blurred vision. This in many cases can subsequently lead to a permanent un-correctable disability.
The exact cause of squint is not really known. The movement of each eye is controlled by six muscles. Each of these muscle acts synchronisingly with its counterpart in the other eye to keep both the eyes aligned perfectly in all directions. A loss of coordination between the muscles of the two eyes leads to misalignment.
Sometimes hypermetropia (long sight) may lead to inward deviation of the eye. Poor vision in an eye due to diseases like cataract, retinal problems etc. may also cause the eye to deviate. Therefore it is important in every case of squint a thorough eye checkup is done.
The aims of treatment of squint are:
• Preserve or restore vision
• Straighten the eyes & improve cosmesis
• Restore binocular vision
To begin with the eyes are checked for refractive error that may actually be responsible for squint. In many cases (accommodative squint) a correction of refractive error is all that is needed to treat squint!
The Surgery if advised involves loosening or strengthening of muscles so as to restore the balance between two eyes, and achieve good coordination. In some cases, prisms may be needed for exercises or to ease the symptoms.
Eye injuries in children can cause eye damage which can be prevented by:
• Giving only appropriate toys without sharp edges or those which fly & shoot.
• Supervising children while using sharper objects.
• Keeping your child away from hazardous objects, medicines, chemicals, cleaning agents and sprays.
• Giving your child protective eye wear during sports, recreation and lab activities.
Clues that alert you that a child is suffering from an eye problem:
• Carrots, sweet potatoes, milk, eggs are good sources of Vitamin A and Beta carotene
• Berries provide Vitamin C, Vitamin B and fibre
• Oranges contain Vitamin C, potassium, calcium
• Almonds provide Vitamin E and mono-unsaturated fatty acids
• Spinach (Palak) contains Lutein, Iron, Vitamin K and Folic acid
• Salmon and flax seeds contains high amount of Omega-3 fatty acids
• High impact lenses made of Polycarbonate are recommended for children. They are not easily broken.
• Plastic frames are recommended for children, as they are safe.
• Metal frame if chosen, should have spring hinges, making them durable.
• Avoid frames which are too small or round in shape.
Vision therapy is a series of eye exercises prescribed by eye doctors & Optometrists to improve certain types of vision problems that cannot be helped with conventional glasses or contact lenses. It is the physical therapy for eyes, by which various vision disorders are corrected to improve child's binocular visual function and performance. Karthik Netralaya has a very well equipped Vision therapy clinic supported by doctors and Optometrists who specialize in the therapy.
Click Here to know more about Vision Therapy.
89, 7th cross, N R Colony, Near Bull temple,
Bengaluru - 560050. India
Monday to Saturday: 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM; Sundays Holiday
© Copyright 2017. All Rights Reserved by Karthik Netralaya